Despite their differences, both forms of sensitivity tend to show up on skin in similar ways. If you have sensitive or sensitized skin, you may notice:
- Itchiness, flakiness, or peeling
- Stinging, burning, or tingling
- Easily irritated
- Pimple-like bumps
What is Sensitive Skin?
Potential solutions to Sensitive Skin
Although Sensitive skin cannot be cured, you can take various steps to soothe the irritation and reduce symptoms. Some examples include:
- Avoid harsh fragrances, detergents, or other chemicals and use fragrance-free, hypoallergenic products.
- Try anti-inflammatory and anti-irritation ingredients such as oat extract, green tea extract, aloe vera extract, etc.
- Visit an allergist to get pat-tested for allergies to help find a culprit to the irritation.
- Cut out exfoliation or anything abrasive and avoid anything with acid, including retinols.
- Increase your water intake.
What is Sensitised skin?
Potential solutions to Sensitised Skin
As opposed to sensitive skin, sensitised skin can easily be treated and cured, it just takes some time. Some ways to treat sensitised skin include:
- Look for products that have repairing and hydrating benefits like ceramides and hyaluronic acid.
- Identify why your skin may have become sensitised (overuse of acids or harsh products, over-exfoliation, allergies, etc.)
- Do not wash your face with hot water.
- Learn about the ingredients used to formulate your skincare products.
- Try simplifying your skincare routine. The more products you use, the greater number of ingredients there are, and the bigger the chance that something will cause a reaction.
Dermalogica’s new UltraCalming™ line is the first to deliver simultaneous relief from all sensitive and sensitized triggers. It soothes dehydration and discomfort, so you can stop hiding behind skin sensitivity. Every UltraCalming™ product is further formulated without lanolin, SD alcohol, mineral oil, artificial fragrances or colours, which can make sensitive or sensitised skin worse. It is the perfect skincare line for anyone with sensitive skin!